Getting your water tested is very important. Many different contaminants could be present in your drinking water, and they could pose a danger to the health of your family and pets. Fortunately, if your water is contaminated, you can mitigate the risks by selecting the right water filtration system.
Before selecting a water filtration system, it’s best to have your water tested. This way, you can select the water filtration system that will work best for your Germantown home.
Why Do I Need to Have My Water Tested?
Your Germantown water could contain many dangerous contaminants. If your water is left unfiltered, you’ll be exposed to these dangerous substances. Some water contaminants have been linked to serious conditions, like cancer. Other contaminants may shorten the lifespan of your appliances.
So what type of contaminants might you find after testing your water? Let’s take a look:
- Lead: A dangerous metal commonly found in pipes. Can stunt childhood growth and cause cardiac problems.
- Chromium 6: Subject of the famous Erin Brockovich case. This substance has been linked to cancer.
- Magnesium & Calcium: Together, these two substances cause “hard water”. Hard water can irritate your skin and shorten the lifespan of your appliances.
- Fertilizers: Nitrates and other fertilizers are used in agriculture, a major industry in Maryland. Have been linked to cancer and other problems.
- Forever Plastics: Used in industrial processes, firefighter, and other applications. The effects are not fully understood at this time.
- Pathogens: Viruses, bacteria, and other microbes may be found in your water.
Unfortunately, any of the above contaminants, among others, could be present in your Germantown tap or well water. That’s why it’s important to have your water tested. Once contaminants are identified (or ruled out!), you can determine which treatment system, if any, is appropriate for your home.
Different Filtration Systems for Different Contaminants
One of the most useful things about water testing is determining what water filtration system will work best for your Germantown home. Certain filtration systems work better at filtering, neutralizing, or destroying specific contaminants.
Let’s take a look at some common water filtration systems and what they are used for:
- Water softener: Removes excessive amounts of calcium and magnesium in water. Often uses salts to remove these minerals.
- UV Light Treatment: Excellent for killing pathogens, including bacteria and viruses.
- Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment: Forces water through a membrane with exceptionally tiny pores, removing many chemical contaminants, pathogens, and more.
Sometimes, it’s best to combine systems. For example, if your Germantown home suffers from hard water, you may want to soften the water before than filtering it with a whole home reverse osmosis water system. A water softening system won’t remove pathogens and other contaminants. At the same time, hard water can wear out your reverse osmosis system.
Free, Professional Water Testing in Germantown, MD
So how do you determine which water treatment systems are right for your home? Start with a free, professional water test! We can send a technician to your home to test your water. If we uncover any contaminants, we’ll let you know what they are, and how you can mitigate them.
You can also order an at-home water test. These often cost $20 or more, however, and usually don’t test for as many contaminants as a professional one. That’s why your best bet is a free, professional water test! Schedule your test today by calling (410) 840-BLUE (2583).