Iron staining or pink slime in your bathroom can be unpleasant to look at. If this is something that persists, you may begin wondering what is causing the phenomenon. Despite how this staining appears, it is typically not a major cause for concern. In fact, it’s entirely harmless.
With that being said, a water test can give you the peace of mind you need regarding this unsightly event. We recognize how unsettling it can be to spot something strange in your water, even if it’s just in your bathroom. For a free, state-certified water test, contact the experts at Atlantic Blue Water Services today. We are here to help!
What Causes Iron Staining and Pink Slime?
While you’ll usually see iron staining and pink slime in your toilet bowl, it can also be found on shower doors, tiles, floors and other water fixtures. These reddish streaks are caused by two things:
- Dissolved iron/rust. If there is a high amount of iron in your water supply, oxidation can occur. This will cause a ruddy, reddish-brown color. If your home is on a city water supply, a majority of the time an increased iron level can be due to old plumbing. If your home is on a private well and high iron levels are occuring, they can be entering the well from natural formations.
- Airborne bacteria. Staining can also be caused by Serratia marcescens, a type of airborne bacteria that forms on damp surfaces. Prodigiosin, a reddish pigmentation, emerges when this kind of bacteria is present. Like dissolved iron, it is harmless and won’t affect your water supply. In most cases, it is found during warm weather months when air flows through open windows in your home. In addition, it can show up during construction projects.
What to Do
Red staining and pink slime can be visible in your bathroom throughout the year. If this is caused by airborne bacteria, it cannot be treated because there is no water treatment issue involved. So, what can you do to remove this reddish color? Essentially, you have four options:
- Cleaning with bleach. Bleach is a powerful cleaning tool. Pour some onto the affected area and scrub with a brush until the pigment is removed.
- Cleaning with baking soda and water. The best thing about baking soda is it can be found in your pantry and doesn’t require an extra trip to the store. Combine a small amount of baking soda with water until it forms a paste, then scrub with the solution.
- Try a water softener. Installing a water softener is a good idea if you’re worried about minerals like iron. These systems work to eradicate calcium, magnesium and iron, which can cause unwanted build-up on bathroom fixtures. Water softeners have a wide range of benefits, including cleaner laundry and dishes, less soap scum, and appliance longevity. If iron levels are very high, specialized equipment may be needed.
- Turn to your local water specialists. If you’re worried about a high amount of iron in your bathroom or you can’t remove the staining with a little elbow grease, you should always contact a local company such as Atlantic Blue Water Services. While this isn’t a dangerous situation, it’s always worth reaching out for more information. Get your questions answered with us so you can rest easy.
Still Worried? Get a Water Test
At Atlantic Blue Water Services, our state-certified water tests are completely free. We recommend you get an annual test to ensure your water is always safe to drink. You can even bring a sample to one of our centers if you’d prefer not to schedule an appointment at your home. From there, our team will complete a comprehensive analysis and offer you plenty of water treatment solutions. At-home testing kits can seem like a quick way to get results, but these often fail to identify key contaminants. Choose a team of water specialists you can trust to provide you with precise, dependable data.
Furthermore, our specialists are on hand to speak to you about our treatment and filtration options. You and your family deserve healthy, safe drinking water that contains no pollutants, bacteria or harmful substances. While iron isn’t something to worry about, there could be other particles in your supply that need to be eliminated. We are here to ease your concerns and help you attain pristine water. With our experienced staff members, you can count on warm, exceptional service and timely support.
Have Questions About Your Water Supply? Atlantic Blue Water Services Can Help
If you have any concerns about your water supply, it’s always best to contact the water specialists in your area sooner rather than later. We provide water treatment and water softening solutions for homeowners that want a cleaner water supply and water that is free from hazardous carcinogens. We’re also focused on providing additional education on water treatment, water quality, and issues associated with water contaminants. Call us at (410) 840-2583 to schedule your in-home water testing appointment today.