Just like many other elements of our houses, eventually, the water softener that we use will need to be replaced to ensure optimal performance and efficiency. Over time and depending on your usage patterns, your water softener will deteriorate and need to be replaced. If you wait too long to invest in a new softener, you might have water that is virtually the same as the water that would be flowing from your taps anyways, and the symptoms of hard water will start to appear. In this blog, we’ll be exploring some of the signs that it’s time for your house to replace your water softener.
The Signs You Need to Replace Your Water Softener
- Dishes That Won’t Get Clean: If your dishes still appear to have spots on them after you’ve washed them in the sink or in the dishwasher, there’s a chance that your water is too hard. If your water has been softened properly, your dishes should be easy to clean and should still appear completely clean after they’ve been dried.
- Your Skin Itches: If your skin is itchy, it might mean that soap scum is sitting on the surface and not properly washing away in the shower. This is another sign that you have hard water and your water softener isn’t working properly. Skin that hasn’t been properly rinsed can also get a rash or feel like it has a film on the surface.
- Age: If your water softener is old, it might be time to replace your water softener. Older systems are still regenerating based on the same schedule you might have set a decade ago, but newer water softeners are designed to regenerate softened water as you need it. This type of regeneration is called demand initiated regeneration, and it’s much more convenient for homeowners who don’t want to have to be stuck on a schedule. If you have an old water softener, choosing to replace your water softener can be more convenient as well as more efficient.
- It’s Too Big: Older and outdated water softeners are often quite bulky, and the amount of space that they take up in your home can be inconvenient. A twin tank system, for example, might eat up space in your home that could be used by something else. Changing to a more modern system, like a single-cabinet system, can free up space in your home.
- Laundry Issues: Hard water can also impact laundry, and if you notice that your clothes still feel scratchy and stiff after you take them out of the laundry, it’s a sign you might need to replace your water softener. While fabric softener can make a difference, the hard water will still do damage to your plumbing and system. Hard water will damage hot water heaters, dishwashers and washing machine over time.
- Buildup Around Pipes and Faucets: Hard water has more mineral content than softened water, so those minerals might lead to a noticeable crusty buildup around the faucets and pipes. When you are cleaning plumbing fixtures in your home, take the time to check for signs of mineral buildup or staining. If you notice any, you should have your water softener assessed to determine if you need to replace your water softener.
- Strange Taste: Hard water does taste slightly different than soft water, so if you notice any changes in the taste of your water, you shouldn’t just wave them off. If you are drinking tap water that has not been treated beyond being softened and notice any variation in the taste, your water might be hardening after you got used to tasting soft water.
We’re Here to Help You Replace Your Water Softener
If you are not sure whether or not your water softener needs to be replaced, the team at Atlantic Blue Water Services can help you to determine the condition of your existing water softener and whether or not it’s right to invest in a replacement. When you replace your water softener, you will immediately notice the difference and often have a more efficient, pleasant experience getting softened water on demand in your home. We can also determine if your water softener only needs simple repairs that might be more affordable than a new unit. We are here to support you however we can, whether you are looking for a new water softener or trying to have your water tested.
Call Atlantic Blue Water Services to Replace Your Water Softener
Atlantic Blue Water Services is here to help homeowners and business owners in need of quality water treatment in Timonium, MD. Call us today to schedule your water testing at 410-840-2583.