You use water every day at your home in many ways, from preparing your coffee in the morning to washing your body at night. Unfortunately for millions of Americans, the water that they are using for all these tasks is not necessarily safe and could even be doing damage. If you have hard water at your home, you should use a quality water softener to soften your water, reduce mineral content, and ensure that the water you are using is not doing damage to your skin or your appliances. At Atlantic Blue Water Services, we can work with you to supply you with a water softener in Columbia, MD that meets your needs through repair and maintenance. If you aren’t sure whether you have hard water, we can also complete water testing to determine the severity of your water hardness.
What Is Hard Water?
Hard water is water that has elevated levels of magnesium, calcium, and other minerals dissolved in it. Most appliances, like washing machines and dishwashers, are designed to be used with soft water that does not have excess minerals. Hard water can lead to increased wear and tear on your appliances and clothing, as well as damage your plumbing over time. The most effective way to solve hard water issues is with a water softener in Columbia, MD.
What Are the Signs You Need a Water Softener in Columbia, MD?
Many households have a certain degree of hardness in their water that could be improved with a water softener in Columbia, MD. If you aren’t familiar with the signs of hard water, it can be hard to determine whether you are dealing with an issue, which also means that serious damage might happen before you realize it. How can you determine if you have hard water?
- Water Testing: The best way to know the exact hardness level of your water and any other contaminants in it is through water testing. Atlantic Blue Water Services offers thorough water testing so that you get a close, precise look at exactly what is in your water. If you have water with 0 to 60 mg/L of dissolved calcium carbonate, it is considered soft to slightly hard. If your water is between 61 to 120 mg/L of dissolved calcium carbonate, it is moderately hard water. Water with 121 to 180 mg/L of dissolved calcium carbonate is hard, and water with above 180 mg/L of calcium carbonate is very hard and will require a water softener in Columbia, MD.
- Staining: Hard water has dissolved minerals and metals in it, so when it sits in porcelain or other pale-colored vessels like sinks and toilets, it can deposit them and lead to staining. You might identify the signs of hard water in your home through unattractive stains or white, scaly deposits on your faucets and plumbing fixtures.
- Scale Accumulation: Scale appears as mineral accumulation or spotting on items in your house like glassware, dinnerware, cutlery, pots, and more after washing. Over time, scale can also accumulate inside your pipes or inside of your washing machine or dishwasher.
- Worn or Faded Laundry: Hard water does not clean and rinse as effectively, so there can be mineral deposits and soap left behind on your clothing after washing and rinsing. When your clothes still feel dingy or less-than-clean after you washed them, it’s a sign that you might benefit from a water softener in Columbia, MD.
- High Utility Bills: If your electricity bills have been spiking without other changes to your usage, there is a chance that scale has been accumulating in your pipes. This makes your appliances work harder to get the job done.
- Dry Skin and Hair: Because hard water is hard to rinse off, it can leave behind a film on your skin and scalp and leave you feeling flaky, itchy, or dry.
How Can You Fix Hard Water?
The best solution for persistent hard water problems is installing a water softener in Columbia, MD. Atlantic Blue Water Services provides maintenance and repair for a full range of water softeners from different manufacturers. We can work with you to determine your exact water softener needs.
Call Atlantic Blue Water Services to Replace Your Water Softener
Atlantic Blue Water Services is here to help homeowners and business owners in need of a quality water softener in Columbia, MD. Call us today to schedule your water testing at 410-840-2583.